Friday, April 17, 2020

Serendipitous Meanderings - Introduction

So I wanted to start an actual play series of sorts where I write out some of my solo gaming ventures into a narrative, strung along in a picaresque fashion around a singular character (or string of characters). I'll be starting out using Tales of Mordhearse, Recluse solo engine, and donjon for my random generation needs. I've replaced the game's prompt with my own randomly generated one, and I'll also be replacing monster and NPC reactions with the D&D reaction table, with a twist added in the form of a 1d6 roll to determine what the monsters want to help guide interactions.

This shit here's classic

What do monsters want? (1d6)
1-Food
2-Territory
3-Item/Gold
4-Information
5-Help/Quest
6-Accompaniment/Directions

To start off, I rolled HP for my first character and determined that he was a Burglar with 4 HP. I rolled up three items for his special toolkit and got a bow with 20 arrows of which 5 are magic, 1 sleeping gas bomb, and a boomerang. After that I noted down the other items and skills he started with in the game, and that's it. I wrote out his character sheet below, with a few additions to help ease solo play, along with adding a quick sketch for visuals.

Avin, Burglar.

HP: 4
Money: 0
XP: 16

Hide in shadows (1/6 chance of failure)
+HP for surprise attack
Pick Locks (1/6 chance of failure when rushed)
Danger Sense (1/6 chance of failure)

Items:
-Worn: Commoners clothes
-Carried: Boomerang, Dagger 
-Sack: Sleeping gas bomb, Food Rations (6)

Avin, our intrepid ne'er-do-well

Character all rolled up and ready to go, I pulled out the random fantasy location generator on donjon and rolled one up to get the starting prompt. This seemed to be enough to start the scene so I stuck with it. I'll leave this post with introductory hook to the adventure:

A cold wind blows through the broken hills as Avin stands at the edge of a dark pit, watching a contingent of orc brigands pick their way through the wreckage of a caravan...

No comments:

Post a Comment